Get Answers to Your Questions

Read our most frequently asked questions and answers at Ormond Beach Housing Authority in FL.

Note: The Ormond Beach Housing Authority is no longer accepting Section 8 pre-applications or Public Housing applications at this time. Do not call about your status on the waiting list.


What is the Difference between Public Housing and Section 8?

Public Housing is when a Housing Authority owns and manages the property. Section 8 is property owned and managed by private landlords who lease their property with a Section 8 participant and the Housing Authority.

Who is Eligible?

Public Housing is limited to low-income families and individuals. A Housing Authority determines your eligibility based on: 1) annual gross income; 2) whether you qualify as elderly, a person with a disability, or as a family; and 3) U.S. Citizenship or eligible immigration status. If you are eligible, the Housing Authority will check your references to make sure you and your family will be good tenants. Housing Authorities will deny admission to any applicant whose habits and practices may be expected to have a detrimental effect on other tenants or on the project's environment.

Will I Need to Produce Any Documentation?

Yes, the Public Housing Authority (PHA) representative will request whatever documentation is needed (i.e, birth certificates, social security cards for everyone listed in the household, tax return, etc.) to verify the information given on your application. The PHA will also rely on direct verification from your employer, etc. You will be asked to sign a form to authorize release of pertinent information to the PHA.

Are There Any Selection Preferences?

No. The OBHA assists on first-come first-serve basis.

When Will I be Notified?

A representative has to provide written notification. If the representative determines that you are eligible, your name will be put on a waiting list. Once your name is reached on the waiting list, the representative will contact you. If it is determined that you are ineligible, you will be notified by mail.

What Should I Do if I Move While on the Waiting List?

Whenever there is a change of address or telephone number, it MUST be submitted to the OBHA in writing. If we are unable to contact you by mail or phone when you are scheduled for an application interview, your application will be removed from the wait list and you will have to reapply in the future.

Can I Apply With Criminal Charges on My Background?

To be eligible, an applicant must not have any drug or violent activity on their background within the last 5 years.

Will I Have to Sign a Lease?


How is Rent Determined?

Your rent, which is referred to as the Total Tenant Payment (TTP), is based on your family’s anticipated gross annual income, less qualifying deductions. In general, most families pay 30% of their income.

I Have Applied for Section 8. Can I Apply for Public Housing Too?


I’ve Just Submitted My Application, How Long Will I Have to Wait for an Update?

In general, applicants’ wait times for assisted housing may be months to several years.

Where Am I on the Waiting List?

OBHA does not give numbers on the waiting list, simply because your position fluctuates as new applicants are added and others are taken off the waiting list.

How Long Can I Stay in Public Housing?

In general, you may stay in public housing as long as you comply with the lease.

What Area Do You Cover Under the Section 8 Program?

OBHA covers from Ormond Beach area to Port Orange east of I-95.

What is Portability? (Section 8 Only)

Portability is the ability of an eligible family to move to and from other housing authority jurisdictions.

How Do I Become a Landlord? (Section 8 Only)

You may register to be a landlord on our website. The OBHA will then send prospective tenants to view your apartment or house. You may also submit your name, phone number, and property information to our Section 8 Coordinator at

About the Ormond Beach Housing Authority Family Self-Sufficiency Program

Need more answers? Connect with us by calling 386-677-2069